I love my friend Laurie and I love this Taco Soup recipe—She gave it to me many years ago and it is a winner! This is one of the recipes I demonstrated at the Oklahoma Cattlewomen‘s Cooking Show at Oklahoma State Fair some time ago. If you can brown meat and open a can, you can make it this hearty soup. And it freezes perfectly in these 32oz. containers.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 chopped onion
1 can each :
- Pinto beans (get pinto beans with jalapeno peppers if you like a little more spice in your life)
- Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies (picture shows Mild but I usually use the original version)
- Diced tomatoes
- White hominy
- Golden Hominy
1 pkg. each:
- Taco seasoning
- Ranch Dressing seasoning
2 cups Water and Salt and Pepper to taste
- Brown your Beef with the the chopped onion (I like to add a little salt and pepper, but don’t overdo it because you will get more sodium in the seasoning mixes)
- Drain browned beef and open all the cans
- Add to the beef, the contents of all the cans (do not drain)
- Add seasoning mixes
- Pour in 2 cups water and stir well
- Bring to a boil then turn temperature to a simmer
Ready to eat immediately but flavors get better if it simmers a bit. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. So good!
This soup is even better the next day! Enjoy!
Use these containers to freeze the leftovers or share with a grateful neighbor. Nikki